- In the event of a crash or poor weather conditions a safety car or virtual safety car (VSC) may be deployed.
- Under VSC, the drivers have to stay above a minimum time for each sector. This neutralises the race and is often used instead on double waved yellow flags.
- Teams will be notified of the VSC ending between 10 and 15 seconds before the green flag.
- Under the safety car, the cars must form a queue behind the car. The backmarkers will then be allowed to overtake to unlap themselves.
- Before returning to the pits, the safety car will turn off its lights so the drivers know it is going in. The race will restart after the safety car line.
- In safety car or virtual safety car conditions there must be no overtaking unless a car is pitting or has an issue