- The cars must undergo a series of impact tests to ensure they are safe to race. These include:
- Rear, front and side impact tests on the survival cell, which must remain undamaged during the test.
- Roll and static tests on the survival cell, with strict regulations detailing how much force it must be able to withstand.
- A test carried out on the steering column to test what would happen if the drivers’ head hit the steering wheel, to ensure the column deforms to absorb the impact.
- Other static load tests on key areas of the car such as the nose and the cockpit floor.